Instruments of the Orchestra
A 12 Week Music Curriculum for Montessori and Preschool Classrooms
Do you need someone to show you, step by step, how to conduct a successful music class with preschoolers?
Are you ready to add some more activities to your music curriculum?
Are you looking for a developmentally appropriate way to introduce orchestral music to young children?
If so, please join us for this fun, self paced course with Carolyn Lucento!
This course provides 12 weeks of preschool music curriculum exploring the four instrument families of the orchestra: brass, strings, woodwinds, and percussion.
Each week includes 45-75 minutes of video instruction, a printable lesson plan and printable support materials, recommended sources for supplies, and downloadable mp3s.
Participants will receive instruction for setting up shelf activities to support each week's lesson and plenty of extensions to help stretch the curriculum well beyond 12 weeks.
Instruments of the Orchestra is an excellent supplement to the "Musically Montessori: First Twelve Weeks" course. Combined, these two courses can help you create a year long music curriculum for your class.
You can also use this course as a stand-alone music curriculum.
A certificate of completion for 15 hours is provided. Learn more about certificates here.
When you offer these lessons to the children in the Autumn, they are ready for the wonderful Winter Orchestral Performances that are geared to children, in particular Tchaikovsky's "Nutcracker Suite."
When you offer these lessons in the Winter months, the children may have already been to a Winter performance and so they have already had that concrete experience that makes these lessons even more meaningful,especially if the children saw a performance with a live orchestra!
When you offer these lessons in the Spring or Summer, the children will be able to really enjoy the outdoor classical music concerts for children that happen in that time of year!
Carolyn is a long time Montessorian and music teacher with over 30 years of experience. She received her first Montessori Training in 1980 from St. Nicholas Montessori College in London, and became re-certified with AMS in 2006. She has also served as the music instructor for teachers in training at the Fountainhead Montessori Adult Education Program.
Carolyn is certified in Orff-Schulwerk Music Education for children Preschool through Lower Elementary and has been teaching music to children since 2013. She has also danced with several Dance Companies in the SF Bay Area and loves to sing and play traditional Mountain Music on her Appalachian Dulcimer & Autoharp.
Learn more about Carolyn at magicalmovementcompany.com
In this course, we will explore the four Instrument Families of the Orchestra:
Brass: Trumpet, Trombone, French Horn, and Tuba
Strings: Violin, Viola, Cello, and Upright Bass
Woodwinds: Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon
Percussion: Snare Drum, Bass Drum, Timpani, Piano, Xylophone, Glockenspiel and various rhythm instruments.
This will be combined with discussion about famous composers, as well as basic music concepts, such as Tempo, Dynamics, and Pitch.
Along with full video demonstrations for all lessons, you will receive:
PDF Downloads of the Lesson Plans
Visuals for circle time
Templates for children's shelf work
mp3 music downloads for movement activities & focused listening excerpts to illustrate the instruments being featured.
- Week 1 Introduction and Downloads (10:10)
- Week 1 You've Already Got What It Takes! (6:31)
- Week 1 Music Circle: Part One (Warm Ups) (8:00)
- Week 1 Music Circle: Part Two (Movement, Focused Listening, and Introducing Instrument Exploration) (9:53)
- Week 1 Music Circle: Part Three (Rhythm Sticks Exploration with Play-Alongs) (9:11)
- Week 1 Ending To Your Music Circle (4:03)
- Week 1 Extensions and Shelf Work (7:26)
- Week 2 Introduction and Resources for Week 2 (7:36)
- Week 2 Music Circle: Part One (7:14)
- Week 2 Music Circle: Part Two (Movement, Introducing Lesson Concepts, Focused Listening) (10:06)
- Week 2 Music Circle: Part Three (Instrument Exploration, Little Pony Song with Finger Cymbals) (12:54)
- Week 2 Ending Songs and Extensions: Swan Lake Story/Music (8:14)
- Week 2 Shelf Works and Making Connections to Your Cultural Curriculum (10:08)
- Week 2 BONUS Video: Extensions Using Stick Puppets and Bendable Dolls (5:32)
- Week 3 Downloads and Overview Sample Preschool Music Class (2:24)
- Week 3 Music Circle: Part One (Routine Warm-ups, Hello Singing, and Intro to Movement Activity) (6:49)
- Week 3 Music Circle: Part Two (Movement Activity and Focused Listening Activity) (7:29)
- Week 3 Music Circle: Part Three (Lesson Concept and Rhythm Instrument Play-Along) (10:30)
- Week 3 Music Circle: Part Four (More Instrument Play-Alongs featuring trumpet and tuba) (9:13)
- Week 3 Extensions and Shelf Work (9:05)
- Week 4 Introduction and Downloads (6:32)
- Week 4 Music Circle: Part One (Hello Song Variation, Movement Activity, and Focused Listening) (9:00)
- Week 4 Music Circle: Part Two (More Focused Listening and Intro to Rhythm Instruments) (9:18)
- Week 4 Music Circle: Part Three (Instrument Play Along, "Presto/Largo Game", Ending song) (9:07)
- Week 4 Extensions (7:30)
- Week 4 Shelf Work (8:05)
- Week 12 Introduction and Downloads (7:55)
- Week 12 Music Circle: Part One (5:41)
- Week 12 Music Circle: Part Two (8:05)
- Week 12 Montessori 3-Period Lesson for Music: Intro (8:38)
- Week 12 Montessori 3-Period Lesson for Music: Demo (8:07)
- Week 12 Montessori 3-Period Lesson for Music: Demo 2 (5:26)
- Week 12 Orchestra Seating Chart Activities (7:44)
- Week 12 Shelf Work (3:18)
When does the course start and finish?
This is a pre-recorded course and you may watch it at your own pace. You have access for one year and you may rewatch the content as often as you wish during that time. We recommend that you allow yourself at least one week per module.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for anyone interested in teaching music to young children. Whether you are a parent, classroom teacher, music teacher, or anyone else, this is a great course for you! All are welcome.
Will I receive a Certificate of Attendance?
You can get a certificate of attendance for 15 Hours by request. You will need to fill out a feedback form. You will receive a PDF certificate via email, Read more about certificates of attendance HERE.
Is this a MACTE accredited course?
No. This is an on-demand online course and does not include the timed and in-person components required for MACTE accreditation. MACTE also does not accredit professional development courses.
Does this course cover the Montessori Bells?
No. The Montessori Bells are not covered in this course.
Can I download the videos?
No. The videos may only be watched streaming online. This requires a fairly reliable internet connection.
All prices are in USD
REDEEM ACCESS LINK
If you arrived on this page via an access link, you should see the "Redeem Access Link" price below marked down to FREE. Please click the Redeem button and follow the instructions to complete your registration.
If your access link has already been redeemed, the price below will NOT be marked free. If you redeemed the link, you are already registered and you do not need to register again. Please log in via the login link in the top right corner of the screen and then go to My Courses. If the link was redeemed by someone else, please contact your school administrator for another link. Please have them contact [email protected] if they need assistance.